Dear Friends and Neighbors,
It is day one of the 60-day legislative session. Each legislative session has its own flavor and set of issues. This year, I expect the major issues to be a potential transportation tax package and K-12 education. State lawmakers will also make mid-course adjustments to the two-year state operating, capital and transportation budgets. There will also be a discussion on the negative impacts of Obamacare at the state level and what, if anything, can be done in the Legislature to address them. I hope you will consider lending your voice to these issues as solutions are considered.
Commenting on bills
One way to participate in the legislative process is to comment on proposed bills. It's easy to do. Simply go to this website, enter a bill number and click on “Comment on this bill.” For example, I am co-sponsoring bipartisan legislation, House Bill 1329, that would create a sales tax holiday for back-to-school clothing and supplies. If you click on this link, you will see the icon below that allows you to comment on the bill.
Telephone town hall | February 6
Rep. Elizabeth Scott and I will be holding a telephone town hall on Thursday, February 6, from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. This allows you to call in, toll-free, and listen in on a community conversation and ask us questions if you'd like. I will send the phone number and directions out in an e-mail update before the event.
We all lead busy lives. It can be hard to follow what's happening in Olympia. I want to make it easier for you to stay connected to the Legislature and state government. Here are some useful links you can access through your computer, smart phone or tablet:
- The Capitol Buzz | A weekday round-up of online news stories. Click on the link to subscribe.
- The Current | An online legislative publication from the Washington House Republicans. Click on the link to subscribe.
- Capitol Report and other audio releases | Capitol Report is a three-minute radio program (aired on KSVR, Mt. Vernon) that discusses current legislative issues. Click on the link to subscribe to an RSS podcast.
- My legislative website | Please consider bookmarking my legislative website at: www.representativedankristiansen.com. Here you will find my contact information, bio, news releases, e-mail updates, videos, opinion pieces, bills and other information.
- My photo gallery | You can find photos of me on my Flickr account.
- TVW | The state's own version of C-SPAN, TVW broadcasts floor and committee action live online.
- Legislature's website | You can find bill reports, committee agendas and information about upcoming activities in the Legislature here.
- Visiting the Capitol | Are you planning to visit Olympia? If so, this website should be helpful. Please also don't hesitation to contact me.
- Capitol Campus activities and events | Find a calendar of events here.
- Legislative Hotline | 1-800-562-6000.
- State agencies | You can find a list of all state agencies, boards and commissions here.
This e-newsletter is one vehicle for providing information to you. I try to make these communications informative, succinct and hopefully interesting. If you know of anyone who is interested in signing up, they can do so at the top of my legislative website. Please also know that you can always unsubscribe to my e-mail updates for any reason. You have this option at the bottom of each e-mail update I send out.
In your service,