About Dan | News & Media | Email Updates | The Ledger | Contact
Dear Friends and Neighbors,
The state of Washington has three separate budgets: operating, capital and transportation.
Last week in this e-newsletter, I highlighted the newly-approved 2015-17 state operating budget, which pays for the general operations of state government, including education, health care, public safety and social services. This week, I would like to give you an update on the capital budget.
The capital budget provides for the acquisition, construction and maintenance of land, buildings, parks and other projects with long-term infrastructure value. We often call it the “bricks and mortar budget,” because it pays for a lot of physical structures across the state.
Legislature gives strong approval to 2015-17 capital budget: Projects will help 39th District
On June 30, the House approved House Bill 1115, the capital budget measure, by a vote of 92-2. The Senate followed with a vote of 44-1.
You send a lot of your money to Olympia. I was pleased in voting “yes” for the capital construction budget to help bring some of that money back to the 39th District for some very important projects. Here are some of the projects approved in this budget for our district:
- $2.2 million for Marblemount Fish Hatchery upgrades;
- $1 million for the Granite Falls Boys and Girls Club;
- $372,000 for Sultan River access;
- $199,000 for Waterspray Park;
- $167,000 for Lyman City Park renovations;
- $150,000 for Wallace Falls footbridge replacement;
- $120,000 for Lake Tye Skate Park; and
- Funding is also provided for the Stilly Valley Youth Project, the Darrington skate park and Whitehorse Trail improvements.
Although the Legislature has adjourned, please remember that I work for you throughout the year. If you have questions, comments or suggestions about the information in this e-mail update, or any other items relating to legislation and state government, please reach out to my office. You will find my contact information below.
In your service,
426A Legislative Building | P.O. Box 40600 | Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7967 | Toll-free: (800) 562-6000